Episode 10. Social Security Fundamentals
Knowing when to claim Social Security is a critical decision for retirement. Before you make that decision, it is important to understand the fundamentals of how Social Security retirement benefits are calculated and the nuances around the basic rules. It’s also important to understand how it fits into your overall retirement plan.
In this episode, Steve and Mel discuss the following:
- How you can become eligible for Social Security retirement benefits.
- How your retirement benefit is calculated.
- How much can you expect from Social Security?
- What is the risk that the Social Security system will be bankrupt by the time you retire?
- What are the pros and cons of claiming earlier versus later?
- What are the nuanced rules for spouses, surviving spouses, and divorcees?
- And more!
- Visit our Blog at Oasis Wealth: Episode 10 Blog
- Obtain Social Security Online statement at https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/statement.html.
- Establish an online account at the Social Security Administration. https://www.ssa.gov/onlineservices/.
- SSA’s online calculators: https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/calculators/.